Monday, December 3, 2007

November 26

C and I were fast asleep during the early morning hours of November 26th when I heard a few tones coming from somewhere in the house. I stirred and drifted off again. The tones returned. They were familiar, but distant and slow coming.

"What is that?" I said, trying to place the tune, and figure out why I was hearing it at 4:30am.

"I don't know." C responded.

"But you do hear it?!" I asked, seeking confirmation of my sanity

"Um-hmm" He drifted

I recognized it! It was Edelweiss playing from my childhood music box, which had been my Mother's before mine. It resides in our office, on a shelf along with her ashes and a few other special belongings of hers which I chose to keep.

I sprang from bed and hurried down the hall to quiet it, and to try to make sense of why it was playing when it hadn't been wound in years. Had the cat knocked it over? Was a shelf falling down?

Once in the office, I saw that all was in perfect order. The music box sat undisturbed. I opened it, expecting to see the gears spinning as they do when it is winding down. It was still. No sign of movement to explain its tune. All that was left to do was accept the unexplainable, and say "Hello Mom."

No comments: