Monday, October 8, 2007

We have a cave in our backyard

The plumbers arrived this morning to dig the trench for the bathroom addition sewer line. They had been here a couple of hours, and I'd just arrived home from running errands when the lead worker bee told me he had something to call to my attention.

"You have a cave in your backyard." He said

"What? From the moles & squirels? Yeah, they are pretty annoyning." I responded in jest.

"No, you have a cave. It is about 12 feet by 3 feet."

"Shut up! You're kidding, right?" I protested.

"No, come around here. I had to get a light to see to the bottom."

"OH MY GOSH!!!!" I could see the cave.


Turns out the "decommissioned" septic tank wasn't completely decommissioned. Apparently this tank, which appears to be dug by hand with cinder blocks stacked up the enterior, is MUCH larger than necessary for a house our size. A typical tank would only be about 4 or 5 feet deep. This would be great news IF we were using it. Unfortunately that is not the case.

A truck load of sand will arrive in the morning. We have a call out begging our dear friends for assistance with the shoveling and dumping, and shoveling, and dumping.

I guess the attic ladder project may not be next afterall.

No comments: